Re: [opensuse] KDE 4.2 and screen savers.
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 19:13:26 +1100
Fred A. Miller wrote:
Herbert Graeber wrote:

[snip]

I had this with the previous drivers, too. I have solved this by
disabling some the first two DPMS modes and using the last on only.
Looks like the first two are not working, but changing the size of the
screensaver instead (BTW: Does that mean the 3D screen savers are still
running when DPMS turns the screen dark?).

Yes....they still run in that small window. How, this MAY help
you....hope so. In further testing, NOT all of the GL screen savers do
this all of the time. Further, they MAY work properly when one starts up
when it thinks the set time is up for it to run, but not run properly
all of the time. The same can be said if you start one from the panel.

Also, the time set for a screen saver to start doesn't appear to work,
no matter what time is set nor what screen saver is selected. I've
turned off power management on this desktop, just to make sure it wasn't
the cause of a screen saver coming starting too soon.

'Sure hope this helps.

Oh what a blessing it would be if someone could tell me how to stop oS
11.0 *AND* 11.1 in its KDE configuration - be it 3.x or 4.x - to
**STOP** blanking my desktops' (VideoSonic) LCD screens!

Every option I have tried, but the screens are made black by some damn
inferior application inbuilt by Novell into oS 11.0 and 11.1!

I cannot leave the room to do what nature demands and come back to not
see the screens being black! I can sit and watch zipper
upgrading/updating/messing-up the system and suddenly the screen will go
black after so-many-minutes (?10). Urinated-off-am-I, I am.

Even setting blanking the screen and/or starting screensaver after 120
minutes and switching off powersave and/or powerdevil in YaST2 did SFA.

(The only time the screen does not black out is when I am watching TV
using the TV card.)

I am NOT into saving the planet by using less electricity and creating
less CO2; I do NOT want my screen(s) going black after x number of
minutes. I want the damn screens ON for the duration that the computers
are switched on.

So, what do I have to do to stop my LCD screens from going black in oS
11.0 and 11.1?!

In Windows XP I told the handicapped OS to not switch off my screens --
and it doesn't switch them off. On the other hand the "intelligent"
Linux distro oS 11.0 and 11.1 doesn't do what it is told.

"Dear Dorothy Dix,

What must I do to make oS 11.0 and 11.1 do as I want?"

Ciao.

--
"With the portion of mankind that is above average one may speak of higher
things; with those below it, one may not."