Re: [opensuse] happy "dmraid" at boot
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 02:08:50 -0600
Yas say wrote:
so last night i said to myself: forza mano di armato, il tigre!

Got couple of hints from Redhat and Ubuntu threads. Well Redhat makes dmraid:
http://people.redhat.com/~heinzm/sw/dmraid, and to my surprise, the Ubuntu
dmraid maintainer uses the same Raid motherboard i have:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/ataraid-list/2009-January/msg00008.html

It took me couple of hours to recompile kernel, add modules, make initrd and
execute the final stage. Also did for soundcard.

Yas,

I must be missing something, but I've been using dmraid since 10.3 and
I have
never had to recompile anything. In fact, I have never had to do anything other
than set the dmraid up during install with the yast partitioner and make sure
that raid was designated as bootable in my bios settings:

01:56 ecstasy:~> sudo dmraid -r
/dev/sdb: nvidia, "nvidia_fdaacfde", mirror, ok, 976773166 sectors, data@ 0
/dev/sda: nvidia, "nvidia_fdaacfde", mirror, ok, 976773166 sectors, data@ 0
01:56 ecstasy:~> sudo dmraid -s nvidia_fdaacfde
*** Active Set
name : nvidia_fdaacfde
size : 976773120
stride : 128
type : mirror
status : ok
subsets: 0
devs : 2
spares : 0

01:59 ecstasy:~> cat /proc/partitions
major minor #blocks name

8 0 488386584 sda
8 1 1 sda1
8 5 72229 sda5
8 6 2104483 sda6
8 7 20972826 sda7
8 8 465234336 sda8
8 16 488386584 sdb
8 17 1 sdb1
8 21 72229 sdb5
8 22 2104483 sdb6
8 23 20972826 sdb7
8 24 465234336 sdb8
8 32 488386584 sdc
8 33 20972826 sdc1
8 34 467411175 sdc2
253 0 488386583 dm-0
253 1 488384001 dm-1
253 2 72229 dm-2
253 3 2104483 dm-3
253 4 20972826 dm-4
253 5 465234336 dm-5

What was it you needed to do all the recompiling for?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC