Re: [opensuse] Re: Problem with popping in audio and stuttering graphics...
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 14:37:46 +1100
Charles Philip Chan wrote:
Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

[pruned]

Who would have thought that the kernel in oS is designed for a server
(but then oS *is* the test bed for the commercial version, right? -
stupidos!) and can be made to perform better if compiled with the
options described in this thread?

The default kernel is adequate for most desktop use. It is just not a
low latency kernel for heavy multimedia work. This is why I suggest
OpenSUSE put out different kernels for different purposes- a server
kernel, a balanced kernel for masses and a low lantency kernel for heavy
multimedia.

Good suggestion - give the user the choice of which version of kernel to
install.

However, there is one parameter which needs catering for: the actual CPU
brand.model. Perhaps there could be a module which could be selected by
the user and then used by the kernel to get max. performance without
having to recompile the kernel. For example, the default pae kernel
installed here has the CPU Family set to generic 586 and I had to reset
it to Athlon when recompiling it.

Oh, perhaps this should/could be a new thread, but what will happen to
the system using a compiled kernel (as you suggested earlier and for
which I thank you) when a new kernel version for the copy of existing oS
is released by openSuSE? Will such a release be automatically applied
against the pae-named kernel, which is still sitting in /boot or will
the newly compiled kernel be affected? Do you know?

Ciao.

--
"With the portion of mankind that is above average one may speak of higher
things; with those below it, one may not."