Re: [opensuse] Is there a Suse 11.1 downloadable instruction book?
  • From: Joe Morris <Joe_Morris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 18:55:13 +0800
On 01/17/2009 06:14 PM, George Olson wrote:
Hi Everyone,

In a couple of days I will be moving to a location with very limited
internet access, like 1 hour a day or less, and I am wondering if anyone
can tell me if there is a good Suse downloadable instruction book or set
of web pages, so that I can download it and continue my study of how to
work Suse doing things while being off-line most of the time. If so, I
can download it today and then I will be set for the next few months.

I purchased a Suse Linux for Dummies at the bookstore, but it is 9.3
(that is all they had), and I am finding quite a few differences. For
example, the software management tool is totally different, and I could
not figure out how to install software that I downloaded. Like that
downloaded Thunderbird into a directory, and put that directory on a
repository thing whatchamacallit, but when i used the YaST software
management tool, it still went to the internet to download the program
again even though I had already downloaded it previously.

So any help will be great. Thanks

George Olson

There is a tremendous amount of documentation available from the DVD.
Check out /usr/share/doc/packages for a peak. To have more great
documentation, also install the kernel-source package, and you will find
lots of great more hardware and kernel centric documentation in
/usr/src/linux/Documentation. There is also manual pages for individual
commands, by typing man <command>, i.e. man mount gives you a manual
page for that command. There are also several books which could be
installed from the DVD. Maybe search for doc in Software Management and
you will see what all documentation you could install. Also very
important are the release notes, giving version specific info. I
believe those all will give you much to read. Also, bookmark the
opensuse web site for specific questions, http://en.opensuse.org/ and do
a search. Many answers are found there, as well as
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:SDB which is the support database. HTH

--
Joe Morris