Re: [opensuse] trying to figure out how to share a data drive
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 21:50:42 -0600
George Olson wrote:
Hello all,
I am running Suse 11.1 and just installed a dual Windows/ Suse installation
on
my pc. I am a total newbie at Linux so please bear with me :)

I am using the KDE desktop. I have 4 partitions on my hard drive, with my C
drive for windows, and my data drive (labeled E in windows, but D in Linux -
this is the drive I want to share between operating systems), and then my
extended partition in Linux, which has a swap drive, root, and home.

when I want to look at the contents of the data drive using the Dolphin
navigator, it checks out ok on this path: /windows/D.

But I wrote a test document in the open office spreadsheet and saved it in my
home directory. Then I tried to copy it into /windows/D, and there is no
"paste" option when i right click in D.

so I checked the permissions using the "mount" command in a terminal window
and this is what I got for the D drive:

/dev/sda2 on /windows/D type fuseblk
(rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions,blksize=4096)

Can anyone help me figure out how to enable writing data to this
drive/partition? Ultimately I want to install Mozilla Thunderbird in both
Windows and Suse, and be able to access the data on this shared drive, so
that
I can do email in either operating system. But before that, I have to be
simply be able to read and write to my shared data partition, which I cannot
do right now.

Thanks in advance for your help

Whoa George,

Your moving kind of fast for a newbie here... First, lets get a little
more
information about your linux setup so I can make sure we are talking
apples-to-apples here. Open konsole and post the output of the following two
commands:

cat /proc/partitions

mount

Basically what you are going to need to do is to select an empty
partition and
then format it in FAT32. That is the only way (absent a couple of tools under
development) to share a partition on the same machine between windows and
linux. Linux can read NTFS just fine, but writing to it directly from linux is
worse than Russian roulette. If the disks are on separate computers, then there
is no problem at all with the SAMBA/CIFS set of tools. But to write to a
partition that windows can read in a dual-boot scenario, fat32 is the ticket.

There is of course the solution of virtualizing windows within linux
while
running samba on linux, then you can share disk space just as if the operating
systems were running on separate boxes. See:

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

Here is a screenshot to whet your couriosity:

http://www.3111skyline.com/download/linux/apps/virtualbox/vbox-XP-on-openSuSE-800.jpg

Also, if you are new to linux, let me share a couple of must have kde
apps
with you. (1) basket notepad; (2) keepassx. Both are available for open suse.
Also, if you haven't already downloaded and installed webpin (for finding
packages for opensuse, the install that first. It will make finding software a
breeze. The webpin rpm can be found here:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE:/Tools/

You can use the web interface here:

http://packages.opensuse-community.org/

Post the requested information and we'll get your file sharing problem
sorted out.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC