Re: [opensuse] trying to figure out how to share a data drive
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 04:39:41 +0100 (CET)

On Saturday, 2009-01-17 at 10:45 +0800, George Olson wrote:

Hello all,
I am running Suse 11.1 and just installed a dual Windows/ Suse installation on
my pc. I am a total newbie at Linux so please bear with me :)

I am using the KDE desktop. I have 4 partitions on my hard drive, with my C
drive for windows, and my data drive (labeled E in windows, but D in Linux -
this is the drive I want to share between operating systems), and then my
extended partition in Linux, which has a swap drive, root, and home.

when I want to look at the contents of the data drive using the Dolphin
navigator, it checks out ok on this path: /windows/D.

But I wrote a test document in the open office spreadsheet and saved it in my
home directory. Then I tried to copy it into /windows/D, and there is no
"paste" option when i right click in D.

so I checked the permissions using the "mount" command in a terminal window
and this is what I got for the D drive:

/dev/sda2 on /windows/D type fuseblk
(rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions,blksize=4096)

fuseblk? I've never seen it before :-?

Can anyone help me figure out how to enable writing data to this
drive/partition? Ultimately I want to install Mozilla Thunderbird in both
Windows and Suse, and be able to access the data on this shared drive, so that
I can do email in either operating system. But before that, I have to be
simply be able to read and write to my shared data partition, which I cannot
do right now.

I do not know what type fuseblk is, so I need to know if it is something else by another name.

Do this on konsole - probably you need to be root:

su - <== it will ask for your root password
file -s /dev/sda2 <== this will tell me what type that
partition really is. I expect vfat or ntfs.

After that, the procedure is to create an entry in /etc/fstab to mount it either manually or automatically, with write permissions, and not via Dolphin, so that any program can access it.

I see you are using gmail, so please remember to reply to the list. I'm off to bed, but maybe some other can take it further before I come back. I mention this in case you are also new to this mail list :-)

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.