[opensuse] trying to figure out how to share a data drive
  • From: George Olson <grglsn765@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 10:45:46 +0800
Hello all,
I am running Suse 11.1 and just installed a dual Windows/ Suse installation on
my pc. I am a total newbie at Linux so please bear with me :)

I am using the KDE desktop. I have 4 partitions on my hard drive, with my C
drive for windows, and my data drive (labeled E in windows, but D in Linux -
this is the drive I want to share between operating systems), and then my
extended partition in Linux, which has a swap drive, root, and home.

when I want to look at the contents of the data drive using the Dolphin
navigator, it checks out ok on this path: /windows/D.

But I wrote a test document in the open office spreadsheet and saved it in my
home directory. Then I tried to copy it into /windows/D, and there is no
"paste" option when i right click in D.

so I checked the permissions using the "mount" command in a terminal window
and this is what I got for the D drive:

/dev/sda2 on /windows/D type fuseblk
(rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions,blksize=4096)

Can anyone help me figure out how to enable writing data to this
drive/partition? Ultimately I want to install Mozilla Thunderbird in both
Windows and Suse, and be able to access the data on this shared drive, so that
I can do email in either operating system. But before that, I have to be
simply be able to read and write to my shared data partition, which I cannot
do right now.

Thanks in advance for your help