Re: [opensuse] Where is FORCE_PERSISTENT_NAMES ?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 01:07:43 +0100 (CET)

On Friday, 2009-01-16 at 16:02 -0000, Rui Santos wrote:

If your using openSUSE 10.3 or earlier, you could see a file
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules witch defines the name for
each MAC address. This is usualy Ok, since most people do not
want/have/plug different NIC's either as USB,PCI, etc...

You can duplicate this behavior by trying the following ( I assume you
already have a NIC ):
1) Add an extra NIC -> It will be eth1
2) Remove the NIC on 1), add another NIC -> It will eth2 although eth1
is not present. So you'll end up with eth0 and eth2.

Ah. Now I understand what you were asking about.

Since the deploy will end up on several openSUSE machines, I would
always end up with eth1 only NIC, although eth0 has not there any more

I think the solution is to use a deployment image without the
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules file. It will recreated with the correct mac and eth0.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.