Re: [opensuse] ATI Driver Surprise
  • From: Matthias Titeux <matthias.titeux@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 18:57:21 +0100
Le Wednesday 14 January 2009 18:16:00 Randall R Schulz, vous avez écrit :
Hi,

When I completed my initial openSUSE 11.1 installation I was surprised
to see that I had an ATI driver installed. According to the Konqueror
sysinfo:/ display, it is:

Display Info
Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
Model: RV350 AR
Driver: radeon (3D Support)

(Not a high-end card by today's standards, but glxgears indicates about
2500 FPS.)

Where did this driver come from? I have a friend who did an openSUSE
11.1 install on a Dell Optiplex 755 with an ATI Radeon (specific model
unknown to me at the moment, but it's one of these: ATI Radeon X1300,
ATI Radeon™ HD 2400 PRO or ATI Radeon™ HD 2400 XT) and he didn't get a
3D driver.

So the questions I have are:

1) Where did my driver come from?
2) Why didn't my friend's installation yield an ATI driver?

Randall Schulz

Hi,

What I think is that the new open source radeon driver (radeon) -included in
the kernel (?)- is now able to provide hardware 3D acceleration for this
kind of "old" cards.
Thus you might not need the proprietary driver from ATI (fglrx).

However the ATI driver may perform better (or may not ;-)) and surely provides
much more capabilities. In your case, it seems that the fglrx driver
outperforms the opensource one.

And yes glxgears (and fgl_glxgears) are not true benchmarking tools. They are
only useful to test wether the hardware acceleration is used or not.

Matthias
--
/ \
/_!_\