Re: [opensuse] Where is FORCE_PERSISTENT_NAMES ?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 18:51:19 +0100
Rui Santos wrote:

If your using openSUSE 10.3 or earlier, you could see a file
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules witch defines the name for
each MAC address.

Yes, it's the same in 11.1.

You can duplicate this behavior by trying the following ( I assume you
already have a NIC ):
1) Add an extra NIC -> It will be eth1
2) Remove the NIC on 1), add another NIC -> It will eth2 although eth1
is not present. So you'll end up with eth0 and eth2.

You can either edit persistent-net.rules, or you can delete it to have
the name reassigned on the ext startup.

Since the deploy will end up on several openSUSE machines, I would
always end up with eth1 only NIC, although eth0 has not there any more

Just delete the one line in persistent-net.rules.

--
/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich