Re: [opensuse] Microsoft TTF fonts and 11.1
  • From: Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 11:58:48 -0500

On Friday, 2009-01-16 at 00:24 -0500, Mike McMullin wrote:

People on the Spanish list are complaining that they are getting this
update automatically without warning, and they don't want anything
"microsoftish" on their systems.

I'll try to convince them to fill a bugzilla, but I'm not sure if they
will.

Have them check to see if the pullin-msttf-fonts package is installed.
I had noticed that on my 11.1 install the package was there waiting for
YOU update to be available.

Well, that's precisely what they are complaining about!

The package is automatically selected to be installed, and they do not
want it, because it install Microsoft "things".

Not _is_ Carlos, _was_ installed originally, waiting for the update to
be made available, now the script _is_ available to get the fonts
installed. Sorry about the semantics argument, but I just want to make
my point clear. Have anyone who has not done the update to uninstall it
in YaST.

Mike@P-733-Lin:/usr/share/doc/packages/pullin-msttf-fonts> ls
README

The contents of the README file:

This README is the only content of this package. The only use of this
package is to trigger an online update that pulls in the real package
for installing the Microsoft True Type Fonts.

And it looks like Novell is using this strategy for a few other
things:

Mike@P-733-Lin:/usr/share/doc/packages> ls pull*
pullin-flash-player:
README

pullin-fluendo-mp3:
README

pullin-msttf-fonts:
README

Looking in YaST, I see that all of these packages create the directory
and install the README files.