Re: [opensuse] Dead mic in Skype [SOLVED]
  • From: Philippe Andersson <pan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 17:14:06 +0100
Philippe Andersson wrote:
Hello,

Most likely not OpenSuSE specific, but still...

Using a Logitech headset w/ jack plugs. Mic is perfectly functional
under Krecord. Sound playback works fine, both in Skype and other
multimedia applications (Krecord, Amarok). But I can't get the mic to
work in Skype.

I've already "unmuted" everything in alsamixer and KMix. Modules
snd_pcm_oss and snd_mixer_oss are loaded (by default). I've set full
duplex ON in the KDE control center. I've also tried the suggestion to
run skype through artsdsp (cd /usr/bin ; artsdsp -m ./skype). Still no
cigar.

Can anyone suggest a solution or further tests ?
To reply my own post... in the mean time, I found this excellent page:

<http://en.opensuse.org/Skype_HOWTO>

where it says:

No microphone input to Skype

When you have checked that the sound system is working, both microphone
and speakers and Skype, using the test call, does not play back your
microphone input you should change the Sound In from Default device to
another setting. This may solve this problem.

That solved it for me.

Hope this can help others.

Ph. A.

--

*Philippe Andersson*
Unix System Administrator

The contents of this e-mail message and any attachments are intended solely for
the recipient (s) named above. This communication is intended to be and to
remain confidential and may be protected by intellectual property rights. Any
use of the information contained herein (including but not limited to, total or
partial reproduction, communication or distribution of any form) by persons
other than the designated recipient(s) is prohibited. Please notify the sender
secure or error-free. Ion Beam Applications does not accept liability for any
such errors. Thank you for your cooperation.