Re: [opensuse] Where is FORCE_PERSISTENT_NAMES ?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 16:45:14 +0100 (CET)

On Friday, 2009-01-16 at 11:55 -0000, Rui Santos wrote:

Changed to bottom post, interleaved, as adequate for this list.

Carlos E. R. wrote:

I don't think you need that now :-q?

What do you mean by that ?
With openSUSE 11.1, I do not know how to disable the persistent NIC
names. The only way I have to circumvent that is the delete the relevant
lines at /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules, but I do not want to
do that on 1.000+ machines...
If I do not do so, all machines I deploy will expect that MAC
address on eth0 and their own NIC will be renamed to eth1. That is the
behavior I want avoid.

The purpose of that setting was to solve a problem we had several versions ago, where the names like eth0, eth1 were almost random, and the same card could get a different name on every boot. But now this doesn't happen, eth0 is always eth0, so there is no need for it. The name is persistent, AFAIK.

And the configuration of the eth is not related to the MAC at all - see mine:

BOOTPROTO='static'
BROADCAST=''
ETHTOOL_OPTIONS=''
IPADDR='192.168.1.12/24'