Re: [opensuse] Install question
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 15:04:11 +0100 (CET)

On Friday, 2009-01-16 at 14:50 +0100, James Hatridge wrote:

Hi all,

I've got a friend that wants me to set up a system for her. The problem is
that she wants it in Russian and I don't speak/read Russian. Is it possible
to install and configure Linux in English and then somehow tell it to switch
everything to Russian?

Every user can change the language of his own user session, which doesn't need to be the same as the default system language. You can have several users with different languages. If you are going to maintain it, leave the default as English (for root), and change the desktop language for her. Create another user in English for you so that you can show her the workings :-)

The only detail is to have the translations installed. When you install, you can choose to install additional languages, so there you can choose English as main language and Russian as an extra language, and thus continue the install in English.

Some desktops also allow to define different keyboards, with easy changeover. No idea where to buy one, though.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.