Re: [opensuse] Microsoft TTF fonts and 11.1
  • From: Marcus Meissner <meissner@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 12:31:12 +0100
On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 12:12:43PM +0100, Carlos E. R. wrote:

On Friday, 2009-01-16 at 00:24 -0500, Mike McMullin wrote:

People on the Spanish list are complaining that they are getting this
update automatically without warning, and they don't want anything
"microsoftish" on their systems.

I'll try to convince them to fill a bugzilla, but I'm not sure if they
will.

Have them check to see if the pullin-msttf-fonts package is installed.
I had noticed that on my 11.1 install the package was there waiting for
YOU update to be available.

Well, that's precisely what they are complaining about!

The package is automatically selected to be installed, and they do not
want it, because it install Microsoft "things".

How is it automatically selected?

My tests show:
It is not in the Update applets and YOU, you need to specifically select it
there.

And if you run "zypper up", it will just upgrade the empty(!) pullin-msttf-fonts
package, but not install fetchmsttfonts.

=> So unless "rpm -q fetchmsttfonts" has results, they did not get it at all.
=> It is not "by default".

Also, it installs freely available Microsoft things which have been clarified
by our legal team. And it downloads them from Sourceforge btw.

(But on third thought, I thought we would display a EULA too.)

Ciao, Marcus