Re: [opensuse] (OT) Windows Server 2003 question!
  • From: John Bennett <hornetster@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 19:46:18 +1000
James Hatridge wrote:
Hi all,

As alot of you guys know I'm taking an adult ed class. Well, this morning the
school sysop asked me to look at the server, he has a problem. I told him
that I don't know Windows, but he said that "you Linux guys know all about
networks!" :)

Anyway I spent the morning going over the school network. What they have is
13
student workstations, 3 office workstations, 1 server, and 2 network
printers. The server has two network cards.

Card #1 is to the school network switch, its configured like this:

IP 192.168.30.11
Sub 255.255.255.0
Gate 192.168.30.1
DNS 192.168.30.11
Alt DNS 192.168.30.1

Card #2 is to the Internet by a DLS router with a firewall, its configured:

IP 192.168.30.10
Sub 255.255.255.0
Gate BLANK
DNS 192.168.30.11
Alt DNS 192.168.30.10

The problem is that the server can see and connect to all the workstations
and
printers. BUT the clients can not see or connect to the server. On the other
hand, each client can get to the 'net and can see the printers. Also I pinged
the clients and that worked. The clients can see and is connected to the Z:
disk on the server, but I can not add the server's Y: disk.

Software wise, all the workstations use XP pro SP3 and the server is "Server
2003".

Can one of you guys that work with Windows give me an idea or suggestion to
fix this? If I can get it fix I'll be golden there!

Many Thanks!,

JIM

You have 2 cards connected to the same subnet, and you're telling them
different things....
The server gets confused when you send something to the 192.168.30.*
network, 'cause its got 2 connections to that network...
2 cards would *generally* mean, 2 subnets.....
And it also depends on what the DNS/gateway is on the client machines...

Good luck!
John