Re: [opensuse] FTP How?
  • From: Richard Creighton <rccj@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 17:40:31 -0500
On Thu January 15 2009 1:28:10 am Jonathan Ervine wrote:
On Thursday 15 January 2009 00:01:58 Richard wrote:
On Tue January 13 2009 8:18:00 pm Anders Johansson wrote:
mount -o bind /mnt/nfs/asus/raidbox/Multimedia/Audio/Music /srv/ftp/Music

Thankyou Anders. By configuring FTP so as to allowing access outside of
/srv/ftp, I assume you mean to NOT chroot validated users. Can this be
done without affecting anonymous users which go to my repositories mirrors?
Right now, authenticated users go to /srv/ftp and anonymous users go to
/raid/repositories.

In the meantime, I'll give your #2 suggestion a try and see if that will
also work. It does allow less flexibility (read ease of maintenance) in
that I have to remember to mount additional links and not use symlinks in
FTP.

Seconding Anders suggestion of using the bind mount option instead of a
symlink and configuring the FTP daemon to have access outside of /srv/ftp.
You
can add the bind mount to the fstab in order to make it mount automatically
at
boot time, or make use of autofs.

Jon

I appreciate the suggestions. I don't seem to be able to properly translate

/mnt/nfs/asus/raidbox/Multimedia/Audio/Music /srv/ftp/Downloads/Music nfs
rw,bind 0 0

from

mount /srv/fmount -o bind /mnt/nfs/asus/raidbox/Multimedia/Audio/Music
/srv/ftp/Downloads/Music

properly. When I try to mount it, NFS barfs. If I replace nfs with none or
bind, it says unknown type. I would like to have them automounted at reboot.
I can handle modifying the fstab and making a dummy directory to hold
external directories if I can get the 'bind' entry correct in fstab. In the
meantime, the mount -o bind is working.... I just have to remember to do it
each time I reboot....which is fortunately almost never, which means I will
probably forget if I ever do reboot :)
--

Richard