Re: [opensuse] KDE 4.2 Review
  • From: Pete Connolly <pete.connolly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 22:37:53 +0000
On Thursday 15 January 2009 10:45:52 Clayton wrote:
I get this too. Using nVidia 180.22 binary driver and the lates KDE
4.2 Beta builds from teh Factory repositoy. For the first few seconds
of bringing either the login screen or the desktop, there are huge
blocks with random graphics... it looks similar to what happens when
texture maps go crazy in a game. After those initial few seconds it
is gone and the normal desktop is painted properly.

Same here. The blocks seem to occur only with the 180.22 binary,
reverting to the 177.82 driver doesn't show these artifacts.

But.... I find the 177.82 binary driver to be rather slow with KDE4.
It might be me imagining things though... but I find the 180.22 driver
to be a lot better with KDE4, and with OpenGL gaming than anything in
the 177.xx series of drivers. I can put up with the weird blocky
thing since I rarely log out of the KDE4 desktop. Would be
interesting to find out why it does this though....

C.

Yep, you're spot on Clayton - the 177.82 binary is pretty slow in comparison.
It looks like the 180.22 driver has an initialisation problem, in that I can
see remnants of previous KDE screens on the start up in the little blocks that
display. I've have to do some tests on a cold boot, but either way it's not a
major problem. It only appears for about .5 of a second.

The screensaver issue is a bigger thing for me, but I don't really use OpenGL
screensavers much. I'll search for a filing at bugs.kde.org to see if its has
been raised.

Cheers

Pete