[opensuse] Memory Usage by kio_sysinfo
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 14:00:02 -0800
Hi,

I'm now finishing off the last bits of installing and configuring my the
openSUSE 11.1 installation that serves as my primary work and home
system. One of the last pieces to get added is "qps" (thanks to Patrick
Shanahan for putting me on to this nice utility).

When I fired qps up for the first time and set its options and layouts
to my taste, the first thing I noticed was that the most
memory-consumptive process in the system was named "kio_sysinfo". The
full command line is:

kio_sysinfo [kdeinit] sysinfo /tmp/ksocket-rschulz/klauncherHK9

In the time since I noticed this, began writing this message and now,
its memory use has grown from 419 to 421 MB (outstripping Firefox by
about 60 MB at the moment). I suspect this program has a memory leak.
(I inched up to 423 MB while I did my Bugzilla search.)

I'm pretty sure this is running because early on during setting up the
system I double-clicked on the "My Computer" icon that's part of the
initial desktop icon set. This launched Konqueror with the
URI "sysinfo:/". I've kept that tab open in Konqueror ever since. (The
system has been rebooted several time, but when I log in my previous
KDE desktop is restored, as I prefer, and that brings back the
Konqueror with the sysinfo:/ tab showing).

Now, I can certainly live without the sysinfo:/ display, but it does
seem like a problem (and could have been rather worse, had I not
noticed it and done what I usually do, which is leave myself logged in
24/7.)

There are many other [kdeinit] processes running, as you'd expect when
running KDE, but all using quite modest amounts of memory.

Am I right (at least probably) in thinking this is a symptom of a
problem? Has anybody else noticed it? Is it a known bug? I couldn't
find anything in Bugzilla (*).

Randall Schulz

(*) Novell's Bugzilla quote quipper is cute:
"Westheimer's Law -
A few months in the laboratory can save
a few hours in the library."