Re: [opensuse] KDE 4.2 Review
  • From: Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 11:45:52 +0100
I get this too. Using nVidia 180.22 binary driver and the lates KDE
4.2 Beta builds from teh Factory repositoy. For the first few seconds
of bringing either the login screen or the desktop, there are huge
blocks with random graphics... it looks similar to what happens when
texture maps go crazy in a game. After those initial few seconds it
is gone and the normal desktop is painted properly.

Same here. The blocks seem to occur only with the 180.22 binary, reverting to
the 177.82 driver doesn't show these artifacts.

But.... I find the 177.82 binary driver to be rather slow with KDE4.
It might be me imagining things though... but I find the 180.22 driver
to be a lot better with KDE4, and with OpenGL gaming than anything in
the 177.xx series of drivers. I can put up with the weird blocky
thing since I rarely log out of the KDE4 desktop. Would be
interesting to find out why it does this though....

C.