Re: [opensuse] Where do I find perl module C::Scan?
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 09:06:00 +0000

Philipp Thomas wrote:
* Josef Wolf (jw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) [20090114 18:30]:

To build a perl XS module with h2xs, I need the C::Scan module. Since
I could not find this module with zypper, but h2xs suggests to install
it via CPAN:

$ h2xs -O --skip-autoload -b 5.8.0 -x -n Module module.h
C::Scan required if you use -x option.
To install C::Scan, execute
perl -MCPAN -e "install C::Scan"
$

So I decided to follow this suggestion and did (as root):

# perl -MCPAN -e "install C::Scan"
[ many lines of output deleted ]
Installing /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0/C/Scan.pm
Installing /usr/share/man/man3/C::Scan.3pm
Writing
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/auto/C/Scan/.packlist
Appending installation info to
/usr/lib/perl5/5.10.0/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/perllocal.pod
HVDS/C-Scan-0.74.tar.gz
/usr/bin/make install -- OK
#

Could it be that you're missing Data::Flow ?

But to spare you the work, I've created packages for both C::Scan and
Data::Flow. Just search for perl-C-Scan at
http://software.opensuse.org/search and a one-click-install should install
both packages.

Philipp

You could be setting yourself up for a bad precedent here. :-) There are
an awful lot of CPAN modules. Many to compile successfully require
source packages to be present. Which can make life complex.

There is something called ovid on CPAN which purports to be a collection
of scripts to generate RPMs from CPAN distribution modules which might
take some of the grief out of this. I have not looked at this very
closely. But this could be a more general solution. There does not seem
to be currently a SuSE RPM for ovid, but it might get round an issue in
that many of the SuSE Perl RPMS are little out of date.

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup