Re: [opensuse] question about kde and remote files
On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 05:22:02PM +0200, Sampsa Riikonen wrote:
On Wednesday 14 January 2009 03:17:08 pm Petr Uzel wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 01:34:16PM +0200, Sampsa Riikonen wrote:
Dear List,

This is a question for KDE gurus..

I am using sessions with kate, where each session has several
remote files on a server.

In my university, however, the things are configured in such a way that
several instantaneous sftp connections to a server are interpreter as a
denial-of-service attack. :/

So every time I open a session with several remote files, kate
(or kde, to be more exact) tries to access all of them using sftp
at the same time and my ip gets blocked.

Is there a way to configure kde in general, in such a way that it would
access the remote files one after another? .. maybe not?

I know that it is not exactly what you are asking for, but what about
using sshfs. You will probably need -s option to disable
multi-threading (AFAIU then it will use only one connection to sshd).

Hi Peter,

Hi,

.. and thanks for your reply.

But how do I pass this information to KDE ..?

Sshfs [*] does nothing to do with KDE. You can use it to mount remote
filesystem accessible via ssh as your local filesystem and access the
files as if they were on your local machine. This is transparent to
KDE.

http://fuse.sourceforge.net/sshfs.html

So you can mount the remote filesystem (where the files you want to
open with kate are) and then access it 'localy'.

[*] zypper install sshfs

I mean, I am in kate, and from file => open => network folders => ..
I will open a file that is behind an ssh connection
(fish://username@server:22/directory/file)
In the end I have several remote files open and I save the session.

You will just point kate to the directory where you have mounted
the remote filesystem.

Next time when I open the session, kate (or kde) tries to open
all the remote files simultaneously.. thats the problem.

Is it some config file I should put that "-s" option.. ?

sshfs -s should cause that it will not open more than one connection
to sshd (this is what you are trying to achieve).

I hope I was more clear now :)

--
Best regards / s pozdravem

Petr Uzel, Packages maintainer