Re: [opensuse] Strange KMail Behavior on 11.1
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 06:49:50 -0800
On Wednesday January 14 2009, Will Stephenson wrote:
On Wednesday 14 January 2009 02:02:56 Randall R Schulz wrote:
On Tuesday January 13 2009, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On Tuesday, 2009-01-13 at 15:24 -0800, Randall R Schulz wrote:

Can anybody shed any light on what is being done and how,
hopefully, I can stop that from happening? It never did that
under 10.0.

Wild guess: compacting folders.

I guess that's plausible—I do use mbox mailboxes. ...

Another thought that occurs to me is that it could be related to
message "expiry." ...

Expiry settings are per-folder - right click a folder in the list and
select Expire... It's off by default, obviously, and when it is on it
happens in the background while KMail is running.

Yes, I found them eventually. I've never used it and found none that
were enabled.

KMail uses mmap'ed folder index files to get its speed.

The amount of a I/O that occurs is not dependent on the number of
folders that were altered while running. This would seem to infer that
the compacting hypothesis is not correct either, unless there's a bug
of some sort.

I guess the write happens when these are closed.

Possible, though it seems unlikely. For one thing, I've had KMail crash,
and if it was holding all the writes until shut-down, much mail would
be lost, and that has never happened.

It could also be Beagle noticing that all the kmail folders changed
timestamp and scanning them.

Beagle is not installed.

Will

--