[opensuse] A question on find and how to out to file
  • From: "Chuck Payne" <terrorpup@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 08:04:15 -0500
Hey guys,

I hope this one get answer quickly. I have a drive that almost 80%
full. I am not sure what has filled it. So I am writing a bash script
to do a quick audit of my drive.

#!/bin/bash
# This is an audit log
# this is looking for logs, txt, compress and tar balls to see what is
# filling up / on all the dam boxes

textfile=audit_files_`date +%m%d%Y`.txt
sizefile=files_size_`date +%m%d%Y`.txt

find / -name *tar >> /tmp/$textfile
find / -name *gz >> /tmp/$textfile
find / -name *tgz >> /tmp/$textfile
find / -name *txt >> /tmp/$textfile
find / -name *logs >> /tmp/$textfile

for i in `cat $textfile` ; do ls -ltsha $i >> /tmp/$sizefile ; done

The problem I am having is nothing is getting wrote to my text file.
Everything I this I get a 0 size file. What am I doing wrong?