Re: [opensuse] Strange KMail Behavior on 11.1
  • From: Will Stephenson <wstephenson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 11:53:19 +0100
On Wednesday 14 January 2009 02:02:56 Randall R Schulz wrote:
On Tuesday January 13 2009, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On Tuesday, 2009-01-13 at 15:24 -0800, Randall R Schulz wrote:

Can anybody shed any light on what is being done and how,
hopefully, I can stop that from happening? It never did that under
10.0.

Wild guess: compacting folders.

I guess that's plausible—I do use mbox mailboxes. I wonder how to
confirm it? If I select multiple folders, the "Compact Folder" command
in both the Folder menu and the folder list context menu are dimmed.
Also, I wonder how to prevent it? I see no options that seem related.

Another thought that occurs to me is that it could be related to
message "expiry." I wonder where that might be configured? I see
reference to it in the KMail Settings under Misc -> Folders as "Exclude
important messages from expiry." I see no other options related to
expiry.

Expiry settings are per-folder - right click a folder in the list and select
Expire... It's off by default, obviously, and when it is on it happens in the
background while KMail is running.

KMail uses mmap'ed folder index files to get its speed. I guess the write
happens when these are closed.

It could also be Beagle noticing that all the kmail folders changed timestamp
and scanning them.

Will

--
Will Stephenson