Re: [opensuse] Correct Way to Recursively Change Permissions
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 18:54:38 -0800
On Tuesday January 13 2009, Henare Degan wrote:
On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 13:29, Randall R Schulz wrote:
If an entry has execute bits, it will keep them, if it doesn't, it
won't get them.

Isn't that what you want?

I think that is what I was thinking of but my problem is some of the
files in the tree have the execute bit set (copied from FAT-based
camera SD cards) and I want this removed.

Be careful. You may find that the files no longer behave the way you
want them to under Windows.

Also note that the command Cristian only creates one fork ...
... From the man page for find:

"-exec command {} +
This variant of the -exec action runs the specified command on the
selected files, but the command line is built by *appending each
selected file name at the end*; the total number of invocations of
the command will be much less than the number of matched files."
[Emphasis mine]

OK. That's cool, and a new one to me.

Cheers,

Randall Schulz