Re: [opensuse] Correct Way to Recursively Change Permissions
  • From: "Henare Degan" <henare.degan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 13:50:37 +1100
On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 13:29, Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
If an entry has execute bits, it will keep them, if it doesn't, it won't
get them.

Isn't that what you want?

I think that is what I was thinking of but my problem is some of the
files in the tree have the execute bit set (copied from FAT-based
camera SD cards) and I want this removed.

Also note that the command Cristian only creates one fork to exec
(AFAICT), i.e. `chown 600 /a/really /long/list /of/full /paths/to
/individual/files` because of the '{} +' in the -exec statement (this
is the new thing I learnt I was referring to earlier). From the man
page for find:

"-exec command {} +
This variant of the -exec action runs the specified command on the
selected files, but the command line is built by *appending each
selected file name at the end*; the total number of invocations of the
command will be much less than the number of matched files." [Emphasis
mine]

Cheers,