Re: [opensuse] MediaWiki For openSUSE 11.1?
  • From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 14:31:04 -0600
On Tuesday 2009 January 13 14:08:27 L. V. Lammert wrote:
On Tue, 13 Jan 2009, Per Jessen wrote:
Randall R Schulz wrote:

I have to say - with mediawiki, moodle and other similar php-only
applications, I always just install the tarball. It's just as easy,
and I don't see much need for package management, dependencies and all
that.

Thanks for the sanity - thought I might have been missing something! Why
would anyone want a package for a web application? It lives in it's one
directory structure (no /usr, /etc), .. has it's on config environment, ..
and only impacts one *already* userland [web] service.

Personally, I'd like to have it packaged so that it worked more like a real
server application. Configuration files in /etc, state in /var, programs,
scripts, and read-only resources in /usr. Preferably with a dependency on a
webapps-common package that contained scripts for rolling out multiple
instances (to a variety of httpds) while continuing to share common resources
from /usr.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ((_/)o o(\_))