Re: [opensuse] How to Mount External Drives Manually?
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 10:42:22 -0800
On Tuesday January 13 2009, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On Tuesday, 2009-01-13 at 09:37 -0800, Randall R Schulz wrote:
Interesting. I always thought "noauto" only applied to the "mount
-a" (including the mounting that occurs during system boot). But I
see that it does inhibit automounting via HAL / udev / whatever.

Yes, but it is up to the desktop entirely, I understand. I mean, they
choose not to automount if there is an fstab entry. In my gnome, I
see a peak of cpu activity, but it is not mounted.

Which is lucky for us :-)

Maybe, if you leave the keyword as "auto" it mounts in the place
specified in fstab, and with those options. It would make sense.

Oddly enough, I still get the KDE dialogs asking me what I want to
do when the device comes on-line, even though it doesn't get
mounted automatically.

It is something. Maybe you can find somewhere in the kde control
panel something about this behavior.

Yeah. It's probably under Icons or Printers or something... (I love
KDE, but even after years of using it, I can never find anything I need
in the Control Center).

However, in this case, it appears to be in a logical place:

Hardware -> Storage Media.

Cheers,
Carlos E. R.

Randall Schulz