Re: [opensuse] MediaWiki For openSUSE 11.1?
On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 07:09:10PM +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
Randall R Schulz wrote:

On Tuesday January 13 2009, Per Jessen wrote:
Randall R Schulz wrote:
However neither appear to have MediaWiki included.

Is anybody else running / trying to run MediaWiki on openSUSE 11.1?

Yeah, but I just downloaded the tarball and extracted it.

C'est la vie.

This is why I defer installing new systems as long as possible...

I have to say - with mediawiki, moodle and other similar php-only
applications, I always just install the tarball. It's just as easy,
and I don't see much need for package management, dependencies and all
that.

Today, I talked with anicka, the former MediaWiki Factory maintainer.
The reasons she gave for dropping the package from Factory:
1) Vast majority of its users downloaded the upstream tarball anyway
2) It was very hard to do an update process correctly with package
manager - according to what she has said, it didn't work under some
special circumstances (I don't remember the details).

--
Best regards / s pozdravem

Petr Uzel, Packages maintainer