Re: [opensuse] How to Mount External Drives Manually?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 18:27:37 +0100 (CET)

On Tuesday, 2009-01-13 at 08:17 -0800, Randall R Schulz wrote:

Maybe I should go back to my original question:

On Monday January 12 2009, Randall R Schulz wrote:
So what are the relevant subsystems, commands and configuration files
I need to learn about to get manual mounting for select external
drives and partitions?

Or, to rephrase it a bit, what do I have to learn about to understand
how automounting is controlled and configured in openSUSE 11.1.

It is controlled by the desktop. Hal and udev detects the new device, give it a device node, and report to the desktop (don't ask me how, I don't know myself).

(there is a thing called "dbus" which I think is involved in the
mechanism)

To prove if I'm correct or not, we could log out of the desktop, login text mode only, and plug a usb disk. If it is mounted, it is not the desktop.

I think that, if the device is listed in fstab as "noauto" there is the convention not to mount it automatically.

[...]

damm, no... I tried one and it appeared.

[...]

Ah, yes, it works. The thing is that the device that previously appeared as:

/dev/disk/by-id/usb-Kingston_DataTravelerCR_ad053f40c9f050-part1

now is:

/dev/disk/by-id/usb-Kingston_DataTravelerCR_ad053f40c9f050-0:0-part1

I changed the line in fstab, re-plugged the device, and gnome ignored it, was not mounted automatically.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.