Re: [opensuse] How to Mount External Drives Manually?
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 07:01:26 -0800

mkdir /mount/firewire (or whatever)
mount /dev/sdxx /mount/firewire

the sdxx being the drive and the partition of the drive.

Yes. That's the procedure for a one shot thing. If you are going to
use that external drive more times, then the proper method (more
comfortable) is to define an invariant entry in fstab.

I do this by making sure the external filesystem has a label....

I do everything by-label nowadays (except swap, of course).

ls -l /dev/disk/by-label/

All this information misses my point (which I acknowledge is my fault
for not being more precise—and here I think I'm too wordy...)

I need to stop / impede / inhibit / prevent the automatic mounting that
now occurs for all external drives and media.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.

Randall Schulz