Re: [opensuse] How to Mount External Drives Manually?
  • From: auxsvr@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 16:56:29 +0200
On Tuesday 13 January 2009, Randall R Schulz wrote:
Hi,

I have a situation where I want the opposite of Josef Wolf (openSUSE
list thread with Subject: "How to mount external drives automatically?"
starting on Jan. 9, 2009).

I'm running openSUSE 11.1 (the inability of 10.0 to properly access the
FireWire bus on my system was the straw that broke the upgrade camel's
back).

Firewire works fine in 11.1; I read somewhere that the new firewire stack,
which
isn't enabled in 11.1, doubles disk throughput.

So what are the relevant subsystems, commands and configuration files I
need to learn about to get manual mounting for select external drives
and partitions?

I use the following for my backup disk:

UDI="/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_uuid_[UUID]"
dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.Hal $UDI \
org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.Mount string:mount_point=[MOUNT

POINT] string:fstype=ext3 array:string:extra_options=""

Replace the [UUID] with the UUID of the partition you want to mount, and
[MOUNT POINT] with the mount point to be created in /media. Filesystems other
than ext3 may require different options/have different defaults for
extra_options.

Thanks.

Hope this helps.

Randall Schulz