Re: [opensuse] How to Mount External Drives Manually?
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 06:15:02 -0800

Anyway, he was asking about mounting manually under 11.1. I'll go
with CLI and not GUI:

I'm not sure what he's trying to do. However, I think he just needs
to use "dmesg | tail" to see what the external drive comes up as like
/dev/sdb or sdc, and then he just needs to use:

want to prevent the auto-mounting. I already know what device is
assigned (I find the symlinks under /dev/disk to be more useful than
digging through /var/log/messages).

mkdir /mount/firewire (or whatever)
mount /dev/sdxx /mount/firewire

The directories exist, and I know how to handle the mounting, including
the fstab entries to allow it to be done on-demand (not necesarily at
start-up, in case the drive is disconnected or powered down) and / or
by non-root users.

However, the default auto-mounting behavior is interfereing with this.

the sdxx being the drive and the partition of the drive.

Randall, in 11.1, pretty much all drives are not considered SCSI.
So, if you have a 100GB drive that was /dev/hda on 10.0 as root, it
will probably be /dev/sda on 11.1.

I know that, too. And in this system, most of the drives are actually,
physically SCSI, though there's one SATA drive and, now, the external
FireWire-attached drive in question here.

Optical are /dev/sr0 again.(although I did add 2 IDE DVDs recently
and they came up as hda and hdb this time instead of sr1 and sr2 as
before(or technically sr0 and sr1 since the SATA drive was moved to

Yes, again, I know these things.

What I don't know about is the HAL / udev / auto-mounter business.

Randall Schulz