Re: [opensuse] How to Mount External Drives Manually?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 15:12:24 +0100 (CET)

On Tuesday, 2009-01-13 at 08:33 -0500, Larry Stotler wrote:

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 8:18 PM, Carlos E. R. <> wrote:
Yes, but you mention both 11.1 and 10.0, and mention that the upgrade
broke... so I don't know if you are still on 10.0 or you managed to upgrade
to 11.1

He said he upgraded to 11.1 because he couldn't use his firewire drive
with 10.0.....

Ok

My English is not that good, you know, it is 2 AM here, and I'm a bit
sleepy. So humour me: what version are you interested in?

It's 8:30am here and I'm not one to use Coffee as a jump start for my
day, so I can sympathize. Don't get me started on my Spanish. My
accent's horrible..... :-)

Anyway, he was asking about mounting manually under 11.1. I'll go
with CLI and not GUI:

I'm not sure what he's trying to do. However, I think he just needs
to use "dmesg | tail" to see what the external drive comes up as like
/dev/sdb or sdc, and then he just needs to use:

Right.

mkdir /mount/firewire (or whatever)
mount /dev/sdxx /mount/firewire

the sdxx being the drive and the partition of the drive.

Yes. That's the procedure for a one shot thing. If you are going to use that external drive more times, then the proper method (more comfortable) is to define an invariant entry in fstab.

I do this by making sure the external filesystem has a label. YaST partitioner can add one when formatting the media, and if not, one can be added later using the specific tool for each format (mlabel for vfat, e2label for ext2/3, reiserfstune for reiserfs, xfs_admin for xfs). The labels can be seen thus:

ls -l /dev/disk/by-label/

Then, you create an entry in fstab, like:

LABEL=TheLabel /mount/firewire reiserfs \
user,noauto,acl,user_xattr 0 0

- From that point, you simply do:

mount /mount/firewire

without having to know where exactly is the disk mounted. This method is not available for 10.0.

An alternative method, when there is no label, is using the UUID or ID:

/dev/disk/by-id/usb-ST325082_4AV_19940395-0:0-part1 \
/mount/some_external vfat \
noauto,users,gid=users,umask=0002,utf8=true 0 0

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.