Re: [opensuse] Microsoft fonts
  • From: Teruel de Campo MD <chusty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 06:01:38 -0700
On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 07:58 +0100, Catimimi wrote:
Felix Miata a écrit :
On 2009/01/12 14:34 (GMT-0800) Randall R Schulz composed:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the Microsoft fonts on an
openSUSE 11.1 system that don't involve scripts of unknown origin, that
produce "a lot of error messages" and bypass the RPM system?

I found an RPM spec file and instructions for building a Microsoft font
RPM, but the build script requires a utility called ttmkfdir which I
cannot find.

Any suggestions?

Hi,
Have a look here :

ftp://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/suser-jengelh/SUSE-11.1/noarch/MicrosoftFonts-1-jen14.noarch.rpm

Michel.

These are two links I have for MS fonts

For Core Fonts:

http://web.nickshanks.com/typography/corefonts

For Vista Fonts:

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/17986507/

They are in the aeroconcept.rar package.

I do not care neither I use MS fonts, however they are important if you
exchange documents with MS office for example.
They used to be in as an rpm in the dvd that came in the box. I still
have a second dvd that came in the retail box of opensuse 11.1 that I do
not know what contains. I run Carlos script and works great.

There are many ways to install fonts, my approach when I do a clean
upgrade is to copy the content of ~/.fonts to the new version. To
install new fonts I just copy them into this directory. Of course in
this case are only available the the user. To do system wide fonts use
the installer of copy to the other fonts directories.

Take a look at /etc/fonts/fonts.conf file in and make sure ~./fonts is
in the font directory list. So far I have never had to play with this
file. As I said copying ~/.fonts is fast and you never had to look for
MS fonts.

-=terry(Denver)=-