Re: [opensuse] BuildService and freedom? (was: How to compile for i86 on a x64 machine?)
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 13:57:01 +0100 (CET)

On Tuesday, 2009-01-13 at 09:23 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:

Carlos E. R. wrote:

On Monday, 2009-01-12 at 18:00 -0500, Greg Freemyer wrote:

So for the major players it is not a big concern I don't think. And
for the end-users who just need to compile something and get on with
their life, the OBS is also a good idea.

I don't understand this paragraph. Why would it be more interesting
for, say, me (an end user) to build something for use on my computer
only, on the OBS, instead of using the traditional configure, make,
make install route locally?

I ask because I don't know, not because I'd like to polemize.

It probably needs to be seen in the light of the OPs question - "how to
compile for i386 on x86_64"? In that situation, I think the build
service could well be an interesting alternative to setting everything
up yourself.

But... but it is a public service, you have to request an account or something, maybe justify what you want it for, maintain that package for others to download... I don't see it. I don't see how the OBS can be of use for a private user that is compiling something for his private use.

Perhaps they have posted instructions on what a user has to do to use the OBS for his private compilations?

And perhaps, if what I want to recompile is xine with decss support, it would be pulled down >:-)

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.