[opensuse] evolution, imap, maildir and some odd files
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 09:45:59 +0100

I have just updated from SUSE 10.0 to openSUSE 11.1 on my desktop at
work. I run procmail and an imap server there to deal with my e-mail in
one consistent fashion. Any e-mail client I use talks to the imapd, and
finds pre-sorted mail done by procmail.

When I updated, I see that the new procmail and courier imapd worked
just fine. I could access things just as before (e.g., via my imac at
home). So far all is ok.

After running for a weekend and seeing that things seemed ok, I then
configured my new evolution to use this imapd (both running locally on
the new 11.1 system). Accessing e-mail is still ok. However, it seems
that evolution has done two things via the imapd:

(1) it made an #evolution folder, and

(2) in each existing folder has made a cmeta and an ibex folder.

These now show up in all my e-mail clients that access the imapd. I
gather that these are some indexing tools that evolution provides to aid
indexing e-mail.

My questions are:

Why are they stored in the imapd directory? Shouldn't evolution keep
its own files someplace private?

If evolution made these and they are some internal files, why does
evolution show them to me in the list of mail folders?

I seem to have missed something here.

--
Roger Oberholtzer