Re: [opensuse] BuildService and freedom? (was: How to compile for i86 on a x64 machine?)
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 09:23:01 +0100
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On Monday, 2009-01-12 at 18:00 -0500, Greg Freemyer wrote:

So for the major players it is not a big concern I don't think. And
for the end-users who just need to compile something and get on with
their life, the OBS is also a good idea.

I don't understand this paragraph. Why would it be more interesting
for, say, me (an end user) to build something for use on my computer
only, on the OBS, instead of using the traditional configure, make,
make install route locally?

I ask because I don't know, not because I'd like to polemize.

It probably needs to be seen in the light of the OPs question - "how to
compile for i386 on x86_64"? In that situation, I think the build
service could well be an interesting alternative to setting everything
up yourself.

--
/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich