Re: [opensuse] Microsoft fonts
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 15:31:53 +1100
Duaine & Laura Hechler wrote:
I'm probably going to answer my one question but why can't MS fonts be
included in Linux distros?

Is it because they are proprietary ?

Are you aware of anything M$ which is covered by GNU and therefore open
source?

If you want to use M$ truetype fonts *AND* you have a copy of Windows
with a legit M$ licence then, if you want to use the truefonts, copy (as
root) the *.ttf fonts (look for them in the Windows installation) which
do NOT have weird characters in the names (those with "-" and "_" are
acceptable) to /usr/share/fonts/truetype[1] and then run 'SuSEconfig'.

No need for RPMs or whatever.

[1] this directory may vary - check what it is in your version.

Ciao.

--
"With the portion of mankind that is above average one may speak of higher
things; with those below it, one may not."