Re: [opensuse] Microsoft fonts
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 15:17:34 -0800
On Monday January 12 2009, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
On Monday 2009 January 12 16:34:06 Randall R Schulz wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the Microsoft fonts
on an openSUSE 11.1 system that don't involve scripts of unknown
origin, that produce "a lot of error messages" and bypass the RPM
system?

The license for the Microsoft fonts package does not allow your to
repackage them. In particular, you aren't allowed to turn the .cab
into a .rpm. So, you probably won't see such a method from a
responsible distributor.

Yeah. Interestingly enough, I found an irresponsible one.

You know, given how picky I am about fonts (*), I'd gladly pay a
reasonable price for the MS fonts, which is more than I can say for
most of what they sell...

(*) I'm not claiming I have superior taste or discrimination in
typography, only that I know what matters to me for video monitor
purposes, and no one has matched Microsoft for my needs in that area.

Randall Schulz