Re: [opensuse] How to mount external drives automatically?
  • From: Josef Wolf <jw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 22:38:52 +0100
On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 06:56:09PM +0100, Herbert Graeber wrote:
Am Freitag 09 Januar 2009 22:06:49 schrieb Josef Wolf:

In opensuse-11.0, external usb drives were mounted automatically
on /media/label-of-filesystem when they were plugged in. In 11.1
only a window pops up showing the "last attached devices".

I would like specific drives (that is, filesystems with labels that
match an expression like /^backup-\d+$/) to be mounted automatically
whenever they are attached. Any hints how to configure this?

If you want to mount devices automatically, with a graphical interface, you
should have a look at the package ivman. This allows the automatically mount,
running of scripts and contains a halmount, you that is used internally for
the mount and can be used to unmount the device from a script, too.

Thanks for the hint, Herbert! I'll take a look into it.

I am somewhat confused by this hal/udev topic. Isn't one of them
replaced/obsoleted by the other?