Re: [opensuse] Re: [Gramps-users] python 2.6 and openSuSE 11.1
  • From: "Fred A. Miller" <fmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 01:16:29 -0500
Gunnar Haaland wrote:
Dave skrev:
Even though the bsddb module is an official part of the Python 2.6
package the maintainer of this package for the openSuSE team decicded to
omit the _bsddb module from the package for the 11.1 release. It is not
present. The openSuSE maintainer is supposedly resubmitting this
package with the _bsddb module included as he has gotten a lot of
complaints but to date this has not happened. That leaves the 11.1
users with three options. Wait for the package update from openSuSE,
compile and install Python 2.6 from source code, or compile and install
the bsddb3 module.

Since the _bsddb module provided by the Python 2.6 package is troublsome
(the reason it was omitted) and will not be present in the 3.0 release I
opted to install the bsddb3 module instead. I am not sure if Gramps
even uses this module but so far Gramps has run without problems on my
machine.

It would be most welcome to have Gramps as an installable package from
one of the repositories. Another one is Gourmet! I've tried to get it to
install, but it refuses to on 11.1. I contacted the author but he's not
be forthcoming with any assistance, even when sent an error report.

Fred

--
"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties
than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to