Re: [opensuse] Installing openSuSE v11.1 on T21 -- Revisited
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 20:45:59 +0200
At 19:48:27 on Sunday Sunday 11 January 2009, Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
wrote:

If nobody can suggest anything else, the choices before me are either
a) to replace my laptom with something newer, or b) put OS/2 back on
it and forget abouit carrying Linux with me in my travels.

As to option a): how about trying older versions to see if any will
work? Xorg got a massive overhaul started summer before last, so try
starting with something that includes none of those changes. That may
be 10.3 (Oct 07), but more likely is 10.2 (Nov 06), which just dropped
out of maintenance support. In between those was Mandriva 2007.1 (Apr
07), which I think is still supported for a few more months.

I've tried v10.3 with no success.

Have you tried Knoppix 5.1.1 (CD or DVD) or 5.3.1 (DVD only)? Knoppix
is a live distro that is excellent at auto-configuration. If Knoppix
works, you could use it to tweak the installed SUSE xorg.conf based on
the xorg.conf used by Knoppix, and at the least retrieve the SUSE
installation logs to share with bugzilla.novell.com.

I may go with v5.3.1. I hope this may give me a way to save files.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on