Re: [opensuse] Installing openSuSE v11.1 on T21 -- Revisited
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 12:48:27 -0500
On 2009/01/11 18:17 (GMT+0200) Stan Goodman composed:

It's very easy to be root in a Rescue boot, because no password is
requested (username: root).

hwinfo --gfxcard tells me that the card is "Savage IX/MV, revision 0x13".
DriverInfo tells me that the server module is "savage", and there is an
option: ShadowStatus".

I have visited the S3 website (s3graphics.com), and find that "savage"
drivers are grouped in a list under "Legacy" (a Politically Correct term
meaning "Archeological"). Some of them are even for Linux (which is
apparently what IX means, although that is not stated), but there is no
obvious way for non-employees of S3 to identify which, if any, are
plausible replacements of the one I have. Since what I have is what the
installation chose as best, I am inclined to believe that there is none.

I've dropped an email to S3, and asked for any other information, but I am
not optimistic.

If nobody can suggest anything else, the choices before me are either a)
to replace my laptom with something newer, or b) put OS/2 back on it and
forget abouit carrying Linux with me in my travels.

As to option a): how about trying older versions to see if any will work?
Xorg got a massive overhaul started summer before last, so try starting with
something that includes none of those changes. That may be 10.3 (Oct 07), but
more likely is 10.2 (Nov 06), which just dropped out of maintenance support.
In between those was Mandriva 2007.1 (Apr 07), which I think is still
supported for a few more months.

Have you tried Knoppix 5.1.1 (CD or DVD) or 5.3.1 (DVD only)? Knoppix is a
live distro that is excellent at auto-configuration. If Knoppix works, you
could use it to tweak the installed SUSE xorg.conf based on the xorg.conf
used by Knoppix, and at the least retrieve the SUSE installation logs to
share with bugzilla.novell.com.
--
"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he
is old he will not turn from it." Proverbs 22:6 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/