Re: [opensuse] SCPM in openSUSE 11.1
  • From: Robert Smits <bob@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 01:53:45 -0800
On January 10, 2009 11:40:45 am Randall R Schulz wrote:
Hi,

I'm using SCPM for the first time to accommodate running my new 11.1
installation under both VMware (during setup) and directly on the
hardware.

As I was selecting from the pre-configured Resource Groups, I noticed
that many of them refer to obsolete (missing) files such as /etc/http
or /etc/X11/XF86Config. Now, I know I can either edit the existing
groups or define my own (both of which I've done already), but this did
make me wonder whether SCPM is actively developed and supported and
whether or not I should be using it?

I'd appreciate any feedback on SCPM's suitability under openSUSE 11.1.

Randall Schulz

It does have some limitations. Specifically, you can't use it for your network
connection if you use knetworkmanager to manage your network or wireless
connection - you need to switch to if up.

What I use it for is only for managing my nfs connections. I configure scpm to
only change nfs connectionsm and then I can still use knetwork nanager to
manage the wireless card.

What I like is that it meakes it easy to alter my network during boot by
pressing F3.

Bob