Re: [opensuse] Re: Problem with popping in audio and stuttering graphics...
  • From: Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 08:48:26 +0100
Question is... is the
only realistic solution to recompile? Yuck. I can do this, but... it
has been a while.

I really do not consider that the solution is to recompile the kernel. I
could do it but I haven't recompiled a kernel for zonks, just like you.

Actually it was dead easy to do. It hasn't changed since the Stone
Age (last time I built my pown kernel was probably about that long
ago). It's well documented here:
http://en.opensuse.org/Configure%2C_Build_and_Install_a_Custom_Linux_Kernel
(although the steps could use some updating and minor tweaking).
Total time to rebuild the kernel was about 1h20m including the time
spent poking around in the options just to see what was there.

The result - as i said in a previous post - was a 40% increase in
performance in OpenGL apps. I see no difference on the desktop...
only in the games.

The test app used was Call Of Duty 4 running on Cedega 7.0.0, and
using the "timedemo" feature running a pre-recorded multiplayer game
session. The FPS was recorded with full AA 4x and all graphics options
on high with the default kernel and then with the rebuilt kernel.
There was a 37% increase in FPS with the new kernel.

C.