Re: [opensuse] WARNING: If you are using xine for your (digital) TV....
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 16:43:58 +1100
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On Saturday, 2009-01-10 at 15:32 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:

In all the years of using SuSE I have never found it necessary to
backup
anything (except for above and also see further) before upgrades
but now

You simply have been lucky so far.

For the past ~9 years? Possibly :-) .

The upgrade from 7.3 to 8.1 (when Yast2 came out) forgot to mount my
/usr or /opt partition, thus writing so much files to the root
partition that it overfilled and crashed the upgrade. So I lost it.

I think the answer lies in your statement: "The upgrade.....". I never
upgrade but always install as a new install.

The other thing is that I more than likely use my system for completely
difference purposes than you.

To me everything is re-installable - except what I have as settings for
Firefox, and the messages I have in Thunderbird.

(Oh! There is one more directory I backup periodically and that is my
Documents directory containing all my correspondence. This one slipped
my mind in earlier responses.)

Also, all my HDs are in removable cradles so I am able to remove/install
HDs "at will" and therefore use the one computer (which eliminates
hardware differences when spotting problems).

I use 2 HDs per installation; and I use one installation as my "main,
working" system, and have another another 'installation' which is for
testing a new release of oS [and another set of HDs is used for other
distros] before I install it on my "working" system for daily use.

As a penultimate point, I replace my HDs (Maxtors now called/owned by
Seagate) every 2-3 years and if they don't fail in the first 3 months I
use them on my "main" system.

Finally, my wife has the same setup on her computer as I have so should
anything go wrong - except for the Thunderbird's messages and Firefox's
bookmarks - I can "sponge" off her :-) (never had to so far but the
option is there).

Luck had it that my backup was not full (a Yast made backup only).

Actually, I must have a good look at this feature in YaST. When I was
using M$ making backups was a necessity. And having an external USB HD
for this purpose I should now consider using it for oS rather than for
storing MBs and MBs of M$ crap.

Yes, you have been lucky >:-)

Or "good management"? :-D

Ciao.

--
"With the portion of mankind that is above average one may speak of
higher things; with those below it, one may not."