Re: [opensuse] fstab in opensuse 11.1
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 01:11:35 +0100 (CET)

On Saturday, 2009-01-10 at 16:17 -0700, Teruel de Campo MD wrote:

Until opensuse 11 fstab use the device designations like /dev/sda1, now
since opensuse 11.1 the Device ID is the default (I know I can change
the default).

It has changed some time ago, AFAIK.

2. I though the future was going to be UUID

Q1. what are the benefits of using Device ID vs UUID?

Dunno. The UUID is generated when you initialize the disk (so a non formatted partition has none), but the ID contains a reference to the physical device and partition.

It depends on your needs.

Q2. is there a command line to get the device ID?

ls /dev/disk/by-id/

or by-uuid, or by-label. They are symlinks, you can easily see what they point to.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.