Re: [opensuse] MediaWiki For openSUSE 11.1?
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 17:38:33 -0600
Randall R Schulz wrote:
On Saturday 10 January 2009 08:30, Theo van Werkhoven wrote:
Randall R Schulz wrote:
Hi,

I was pretty surprised to find no MediaWiki packages in the 11.1
distribution nor on the Build Service (there are auxiliary
packages, but not MediaWiki itself).

Am I looking in the wrong place??
Using the MediaWiki tar ball and following the directions in the
set-up script seems easy enough to me.
http://download.wikimedia.org/mediawiki/1.13/mediawiki-1.13.3.tar.gz

Installing a major component outside the RPM system is not something I
prefer doing, if an alternative is at all possible. (Yes, I'm aware of
an do use checkinstall in these circumstances, though my past
experience is that it only works for about half of the projects that
have "make install" targets. Maybe that's improved in later versions.)

I'll go this route if forced, but given the popularity of MediaWiki and
its open-source status, it seems like something that ought to be
included in the distribution.

Randall Schulz

Randall,

One thing I have had good luck with is downloading the latest .src.rpm
I can
find (preferably just one release behind), installing it, downloading the
latest src package to /usr/src/packages/SOURCES, editing the spec fil in
/usr/src/packages/SPECS to change the release information and to point it to
the new source package to use during the build.

Then I just kickoff the build, for example, with rpmbuild -bb
/usr/src/packages/SPECS/mediawiki.spec and see what happens. Probably 80-90% of
the time, I end up with new rpms built with the latest source that work just
fine. Worth a shot. Nothing but about 20 minutes to lose -- I can waste that
just searching for an rpm online ;-)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC